For more information about these programs, you may contact Lindy Cranwell.
Below are the CEE sponsored opportunities for faculty-led study abroad programs.
Current and In-Progress Programs
- Coastal Engineering Research Field Experience – Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Spring Break 2017. Students will be registered in Spring 2017 for a class associated with this program. It is recommended that CEE majors take CEE 4564 (Advanced CEE course for 3 credits) and this trip will be connected to the mid-term project. CE student must have completed CEE 3514. Students from other majors may register for CEE 4974: Independent study (1 credit) to participate. Student will complete field work in Punta Cana during Spring Break. Dr. Nina Stark will lead this program to the beach for hands-on field experiments! Program fee is $1200. Application CLOSED.
- Bridges in Switzerland and Germany – Students will learn about famous bridge designs, the builders who created them and the impact to the society where these bridges are located. Students will visit the communities and bridges to finalize the learning in this class. Travel May 14-25, 2017. The spring 2017 semester class (CEE 3954 – Bridges, Builders & Society) must be taken as part of this travel abroad program. This class will count as an additional elective for CE majors. CO-REQ (NEW): ESM 2204 (CE & CEM majors) OR ESM 3704 (Arch majors). Program fee is $2700. Application CLOSED
Other VT sponsored abroad programs
None available at this time. Please see Global Education Office website.
-Winter Session 2017- CEE 3014 Construction Management – Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Twelve students experienced this blended (virtual Blacksburg, Punta Cana) class offering a fundamental course for CEE majors. They learned fundamental knowledge and skills to effectively manage project across borders.
– Summer 2016, Research at Queensland University, Australia: Two CEE students conducted full-time research for 6 weeks each
– Summer 2015, Coastal Engineering Field Trip in Punta Cana: Dr. Nina Stark led 4 students on a coastal engineering research field trip
– Summer 2014, CEE in Punta Cana: A faculty-led program had 11 students in a 6 credit hour program on Sustainable Water & Airport Planning
– Spring Break 2014, CEE in China: Three (3) students traveled with a Dr. Linbing Wang to visit at Tongji University
– Fall 2014, CEE in Panama: Eleven (11) students participated in a class through University of Colorado- Boulder and Engineers Without Borders and traveled to Panama City, Panama as part of the program.
– Winter 2013, CEE in China: Four (4) students visited at Tongji University and the University of Science & Technology Beijing to promote collaboration and provide students will a broader view of engineering
– Summer 2013, CEE in Punta Cana: A faculty-led program had 20 students in a 6 credit hour program on Sustainable Water & Airport Planning
– Summer 2012, CEE in Punta Cana: A faculty-led program had 11 students in a 6 credit hour program on Sustainable Water & Airport Planning
– Summer 2011, CEE in Punta Cana: A faculty-led program had 17 students in a 6 credit hour program on Sustainable Water & Infrastructure
– Summers 2005, 2007, 2009, & 2011, Swiss Bridge Trip: A group of faculty and students went on a non-credit field trip to Switzerland to visit important bridges