For more information about these programs, you may contact Lindy Cranwell.
Below are the CEE sponsored opportunities for faculty-led study abroad programs.
Current and In-Progress Programs
–Bridges in Switzerland, Germany & Italy – Students will learn about famous bridge designs, the builders who created them and the impact to the society where these bridges are located. Students will visit the communities and bridges to finalize the learning in this class. Travel May 12-24, 2018. The spring 2018 semester class (CEE 3954 – Bridges, Builders & Society) must be taken as part of this travel abroad program. This class will count as an additional elective for CE majors. CO-REQ: ESM 2204 (CE & CEM majors) OR ESM 3704 (Arch majors). Program fee is $2600. Program in progress
Other VT sponsored abroad programs
None available at this time. Please see Global Education Office website.
-CEE 3014 : Construction Management – Nine students traveled to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic in Winter Session 2018. Students learned about Construction Management in a context outside of the USA. This hands-on opportunity taught students from a different lens in this field
-Spring 2017: Bridges in Switzerland and Germany– Nine students learned about famous bridge designs, the builders who created them and the impact to the society where these bridges are located all spring and then traveled from May 14-25, 2017 to learn in this hands-on abroad program.
-Winter Session 2017- CEE 3014 Construction Management – Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Twelve students experienced this blended (virtual Blacksburg, Punta Cana) class offering a fundamental course for CEE majors. They learned fundamental knowledge and skills to effectively manage project across borders.
-Spring Break 2017 – Dr. Nina Stark took two students to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic to conduct Coastal Engineering research on the beach for their CEE 4564 mid-term project.
– Summer 2016, Research at Queensland University, Australia: Two CEE students conducted full-time research for 6 weeks each
– Summer 2015, Coastal Engineering Field Trip in Punta Cana: Dr. Nina Stark led 4 students on a coastal engineering research field trip
– Summer 2014, CEE in Punta Cana: A faculty-led program had 11 students in a 6 credit hour program on Sustainable Water & Airport Planning
– Spring Break 2014, CEE in China: Three (3) students traveled with a Dr. Linbing Wang to visit at Tongji University
– Fall 2014, CEE in Panama: Eleven (11) students participated in a class through University of Colorado- Boulder and Engineers Without Borders and traveled to Panama City, Panama as part of the program.
– Winter 2013, CEE in China: Four (4) students visited at Tongji University and the University of Science & Technology Beijing to promote collaboration and provide students will a broader view of engineering
– Summer 2013, CEE in Punta Cana: A faculty-led program had 20 students in a 6 credit hour program on Sustainable Water & Airport Planning
– Summer 2012, CEE in Punta Cana: A faculty-led program had 11 students in a 6 credit hour program on Sustainable Water & Airport Planning
– Summer 2011, CEE in Punta Cana: A faculty-led program had 17 students in a 6 credit hour program on Sustainable Water & Infrastructure
– Summers 2005, 2007, 2009, & 2011, Swiss Bridge Trip: A group of faculty and students went on a non-credit field trip to Switzerland to visit important bridges