Required Application Materials and Scores
1) Transcripts: UPLOAD a copy of an official transcript into the online application. An official paper copy of the final transcript will be required if you attend and enroll for classes at VT.
2) TWO (2) Letters of Recommendation: PLEASE request ONLINE letters of recommendation through the online application. When you are in the application, you will see the recommendation section. Please follow the instructions. ALL non-electronic letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the department address:
Attn: Graduate Student Cooordinator
200 Patton Hall, MC: 0105
Blacksburg, VA 24061
**Although the graduate school office lists 3 letters, we only require 2 in our department.
3) A resume and a statement of purpose will be required of you in the electronic application: UPLOAD the resume and Statement of Purpose into the online application.
4) GRE (Please note that our university code to report your scores is 005859): All applicants are required to take all three sections of the General GRE. While our department does not have a minimum required score for the GRE, most admitted applicants have at least a 155 on the Quantitative Section of the exam. However, decisions to admit are based on a prospective student’s entire application package.
5) TOEFL (for international students only) Waivers of the TOEFL score can only be granted by our Graduate School office (not the department office). IELTS may be substituted for the TOEFL only if it is above 6.5. You MUST contact our Graduate School offices about this (email@example.com). Please note that our university code to report your scores is 005859.
All international applicants must provide a TOEFL score. Our departmental minimum is 90 (internet-based). Further, TOEFL scores of 20 or greater in Listening, Writing, Speaking, and Reading subsections are required. Please do not apply if your score is below the minimum. Your application will not be reviewed by the faculty.
Other required materials: Please do not send multiple emails. Staff members cannot give any decisions by fax, phone or email unless the faculty has given express permission. You will be able to check the online system for decisions. The staff cannot estimate how long it will take the faculty to review your application materials and make a decision. Your application will only be in review when all materials have been received by the department.